[T3] 73 type 3 T/S switch / wheel horn contact ring?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 11:15:28 PST 2019

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Jim Adney
Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2019 6:41 AM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] 73 type 3 T/S switch / wheel horn contact ring?

I have never replaced one of those brass contact rings. I have a
replacement somewhere, but I couldn't find it when I looked quickly
last night, so I can't say whether it would have fit better.

I've always thought I could make a good repair using a bit of shim
stock, much like you did, but with a harder, dissimilar metal so the
two pieces wouldn't tend to chew into each other. I thought spring
steel would be a better choice, with some lubrication to keep the
friction down and prevent rust.

My parts book only shows a single cancelling ring with horn contact
for '71-73.

 Jim , I know there are many reproduction parts out there. I had never had to purchase one and didn’t realize one I had the ring in hand it would be such a cheaply made copy . After I saw it and tried to install it I could see it was not going to fit the same as the OEM . The OEM you can drop the plastic/ insulated side right in the wheel and it drops down flush with the metal area on the wheel , on this thing I had to trim off flash and file here and there and still 1 one the 3 screw holes would not line up so I oval shaped it yet you cannot place it in by hand . I got the holes to line up and then installed the screws tightening in a pattern yet all this did was flex the plastic with the result of the actual ring to sit up higher. The casting of the plastic is so out of round and so misshapen it might seat with a lot of work . I saved the OEM plastic part hoping I could just use the ring from this junk by just bending up the 5 tabs that secure it , my fear was I measured it and it was close yet even though it looks like copper it simply has a thin coating which I found out using 800 wet /dry to remove what appeared a minute pebble surface . It is steel , on top of this the wire where it is fixed to the ring on OEM on this part it’s a ¼” female spade on the wire and ¼” male on a tab on the ring which was a loose fit so I soldered it and found the solder would stick to the brass spade yet what ever that copper thin coat is needs to be removed solder would not stick . Point is the ring is steel so here were have a rust issue . I did call ISP west and theirs looks better and the fellow looked at the J Bugs site and said it looked like a cheap copy copied from a cheap copy . We spoke of the issue I had with the wear my ring and T/S wiper had and you brought up spring steal and felt you had some good switches you might be able to save . The issue I ran into was the large amount of copper particles that were all over inside the switch and no good way to clean they away , did the best I could .

  And yes the replacement ring as well as the T/S switch sold now are for certain years of beetles and super beetles type 3 71 to 74 and I think Things and some buses , so it’s a switch with the hope it fits they all go by the stock part # 113415660A. look at J Bugs site and you can see the part , look up that number and find all sorts of places that sell their offerings some are OEM looking. Here’s a link to the T/S switch and the vast amount of VW’s it’s ( supposed to fit.)

You're lucky you have a '73, because those ignition switches are cheap
and readily available. The only lubricant you should use on the key
cylinder is graphite dust. Anything wet will tend to collect dirt and
eventually gum up.

 What I did was not lube where the key fits , I had the cylinder out and cleaned the steering  lock housing then lubed the outside of the cylinder as well as when the key is inserted part of the cylinder pops out at the end opposite the key and lubed there since it was dry and to make sure the ignition switch electric part which is the only spring return would not be stressed and it works like new , most of the issue was the ign switch was cracked and split open. I had to fit to get it out and it’s amazing it ever worked. I do feel part of maintenance should be to lube the ring and wiper with dielectric grease at least every few years in order to save wear. It’s the wiper that wears then chews up the ring. It’s not just a hole it’s a hole with sharp edges acting like a chisel . I didn’t know until I had horn issues. On Samba if you view this topic https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714297 scroll down and you will see what my Ignition switch looked like.

Good luck finding a replacement TS switch. Those are equally rare.
Some places claim to have them, but they turn out to be Beetle parts,
which are slightly different.

 Yes I now realize this , never looked until I needed one. One thing about the condition of my T/S switch other than the worn wiper , my steering wheel was always to the left driving straight and that side of the small  tab that cancels the T/S has a notch worn in it this may or may not be the reason and it may last a good long time . Difficult to say . As long as a replacement T/S switch fits and works I can live with that. I can’t say I trust mine , not after all the copper dust did as far as wear on the cancel section and there’s no way to take one apart to clean it.

 William
	-

	Jim Adney

	Madison, Wisconsin, USA