[T3] Automatic starters

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Feb 5 18:27:07 PST 2019

On 5 Feb 2019 at 19:18, Keith Park wrote:

> The starters they used in the auto cars, what other makes used the same T3
> starter?  ie, bug or bus?
>
> if I can get one cheap enough I want to get a spare starter and since this
> is for the 2056, the auto starter with its slightly higher HP would be best.

You're looking for a Bosch SR17X. According to my Bosch listing, this
was used on all aircooled AT VWs from '68-on. The one exception is
that it was also used on the '73-5 MT Things. The AT SR17X is rated
at 0.8 PS rather than the MT SR15X 0.7 PS. (PS = Pferd Starke =
horsepower.) 0.1 extra HP may not seem like much, but it turns out to
be a rather large % increase.

I think you'll find that all of these were originally made by Bosch,
but they could have been rebuilt by anyone. Even if you buy a Bosch
rebuild today, it may come in a Bosch box, but there's no telling who
actually rebuilt it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org