[T3] Standard transmissions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Feb 18 18:34:25 PST 2019

While I prefer the VW MTs, my experience with the AT Type 3s has been
uniformly excellent. Russ also mentions that they had been quite
reliable.

The modern DSG (Dual Shift Gearbox) is a completely different animal.
It consists of 2 constant mesh gearboxes with intermeshing ratios,
each with its own clutch. The shifting and clutches are hydraulically
operated and the hydraulics are electronically controlled. Shifts are
preselected, then one clutch is disengaged while the other is engaged,
making the shifts almost unnoticable, unless you're watching the
tachometer. There is no torque converter.

I believe the current VW DSGs are all 6 speeds, but I've seen that up
to 11 speed boxes have been developed. I suspect this is seen as an
alternative to CVT transmissions.

	-

	Jim Adney

	Madison, Wisconsin, USA