[T3] What are SP Parts kits?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Jul 18 22:02:03 PDT 2019

On 17 Jul 2019 at 22:38, Dave Hall wrote:

> I'm away from home, but I'm sure one of my parts books has lists of
> SPs.  I believe SP stands for service pack.  Eg the SP for brake
> linings has the 4 linings and the rivets to fit them to the shoes.
> Better to get bonded linings, to avoid scoring drums, though!

Let us know what you find when you get home.

In the meantime I stopped by a friend's shop yesterday and asked
there. He wasn't sure, so we looked around the stock room and found a
number of boxes that had SP numbers in addition to some other number.
Those happened to be in Girling or Lucas boxes, so our guess is that
this was a system set up by some aftermarket supplier to try to
simplify some common kits that could be used on a number of cars of
different makes. It would have been in the hope of reducing stock
requirements.

In other words, if the same parts could be used in a Fiat, a Triumph,
an MG, and an Austin Healy, why stock each of them, when a single SP
kit would do. This sounds reasonable to me, but I still haven't heard
who set this up. My friend thinks it might be Beck-Arnley, but I
don't think so, because I've never seen SP parts listed in B-A
catalogs.

Anyone got a better answer? Should I be trying to think of a supplier
with the initials S. P.?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org