[T3] 73 type 3 FI ignition condenser ?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 11:10:06 PDT 2019

I saw one on-line store selling  2 versions of Bosch points that fit the later Type 3’s one with the stronger spring. J-Bugs has that choice. I ordered 2 sets one that looked good yet when I got it it’s made in Taiwan , it’s looks ok yet since I’m one who does not care for unknown repops I can’t say I will use them , the spring feels a lot stronger than the ones Bosch now sells at least the older set it still have. I did order a Bosch set . Delco Remy also makes a set yet the entire rubbing block, pivot is all once plastic piece.

 I got a set of NGK plus B6HS. Their site says not to use anti-seize yet when I emailed them they said just use a small amount and if not using a torque wrench just screw in until it stops and give them 1/3 to 1/2 turn . The Bentley states 20 to 25 foot pounds and also states to use anti-seize and as most know anti-seize acts as a lube and you end up with a higher torque . I was never able to get a torque wrench in there so I always seat then do the 1/2 turn, 20 to 25 ft lb’s seems pretty high to me.

 I looked at Bosch’s site , they don’t list much and what I see they are all WR8AC with 5k ohm’s , I’d rather not add resistance where it was never designed to be. Even NGK and Autozone list the NGK BR6HS as do other site who offer these.

 I’m just going to start with replacing the voltage Regulator then fit the condenser to the dist so at least it’s there in case the pertronix decides to fail , the points are easy to do after. I need to know how the charging system works without the 5 mA draw. That 5 mA draw is not much yet it simply shouldn’t draw that amount telling me something is not right in the old electronic VR. I wish I knew how they worked , Bosch had no idea and since it’s sealed in epoxy there’s no way of knowing . The last 2 I installed were the old style mechanical Bosch and neither one lasted very long and they would fail in the no charge state. When I took the top screw out one coil was burnt out . Perhaps they were using less quality parts . the first one lasted from 85 to 94 the second 94 to 97.

William

Sent from Mail for Windows 10