[T3] 73 type 3 FI ignition condenser ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Mar 18 09:28:26 PDT 2019

On 16 Mar 2019 at 22:42, William Jahn wrote:

>  ITMm sort of exited to try points again , The Pertronix has been fine
>  yet I donTMt recall it running any better than with points.

The Pertronix won't work any better than stock points. They do have the
advantage of not using the old cam, so if your cam is too badly worn for
points to last, the Pertronix will fix that.

The Pertronix will also work nicely with the Delta Mark 10 CDI units, and that
is a nice combo, because now there's nothing to wear out. The Pertronix do,
however, have a bit of a reputation of failing after a few years. I've been
using the Delta CDIs since about 1966 and have had 2 failures in that time.
Both were easily fixed.

The Pertronix I've seen have all been completely potted, making repairs
nearly impossible.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org