[T3] 73 type 3 FI ignition condenser ?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Mar 14 13:23:18 PDT 2019

On 13 Mar 2019 at 14:35, William Jahn wrote:

> Also it  seems the Bosch voltage regulator is a bit different from the
> one I got in 97 as it does not have the little Bosch emblem stamped on
> the tops of the 3 diodes even though it does have all the Bosch numbers
> on the side and a Bosch box.

I checked, and my VRs have the Bosch logos on the ends of the diodes. I've
had those units on the shelf for a long time, so I'm guessing they were rather
early production. These were made in Mexico; were yours?

I doubt if the logo there is important. Diodes are pretty generic; I don't see it
making much difference, and they could still be made by Bosch, but maybe
just no longer marked that way.

I'm not surprised that they draw a bit of current even when off. It's common
for similar devices to need some standby current so they will start up reliably
when needed. A lot of work has gone into "micropower" standby devices in
the past decade or 2. The power may be insignificant even if it is not zero.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org