[T3] 73 type 3 FI ignition condenser ?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 13:31:55 PDT 2019

If I recall we talked about this a while back . There were also other I forget whom who said that even the FI distributors had this 3 degree #3 retard . If your books say so I’ll takes that as they don’t. I don’t know how I would tell.

 I just wanted to add since I keep forgetting things and have added posts on posts all related. On the Bosch points that you measured 1.5 and 2.5 pounds . The set I got fits the higher 2.5 lb made in Mexico and have the dab of grease behind the rubbing block I didn’t get the ones made in Brazil . Most sites at least the ones I use is Amazon since most add $7.50 shipping , the set I got made in Mexico are the worse set of points I’ve ever come across , no one part is straight , not the base or the arm that hold the spring and wire lead and the rubbing block is huge, twice as tall as the old German Bosch . As I said before perhaps there are bad batches and the other issue is even if ordered on J-Bugs they list it a one part number 01011 although J-Bugs does sell the higher spring tension as a different number and there is a set made by Empi that is the higher spring which I don’t need. The other set of points I got off Amazon were titled as OEM and I felt that meant OEM yet they are made in Taiwan , this is the set with the E clip on the pivot . I will say one thing , they are better made than the Mexico bosch I got , the contacts are aligned , the only issue as with the Mexico Bosch is the base is not flat. I didn’t feel like trying to flatten them , it seems the only way it to remove the arm and try to hammer them flat and even , I don’t feel filing the base is a good idea since it will remove the plating and might rust plus the pivot pin opposite the mount screw is in the way. I had to file the Pertronix base a bit because it was not flat yet it’s aluminum . they rivet the module to the base and that area was not flat .

 The AH dist I have in the car now does have a bit of cam wear that I can see yet it does not seem to leave any marks on the points rubbing block . It’s no worse than when I got the car and I always cleaned it well and used a thin layer of Bosch dist grease. I have no idea what the previous owner/s did.

 I may have mentioned this before , since Pertronix told me about a year ago when I asked if they can cause a miss , I was told they can either fail completely or in other ways and one is a miss. In your last email response you brought up the miss I was having with a test I could try. The reason why I want to try points again is mainly to rule this out as a possibility since I need to unplug the IAD temp sensor to get it running even at idle . If the Pertronix is not the cause then I’ll just leave the condenser mounted and put the Pertronix back in . It’s just one possible cause of the idle issue I have and if the Pertronx does fail all I have to do is put the points back in. I can only take the word of the people I spoke to there , they seem to know what they are talking about.
 When I was having the pinging issue I had the dist an AF I think from the 72 in the car and I cleaned and rebuilt the AH and it had no bushing or shaft wear yet the point plate as different , on the AH the braided ground lead is short and the Pertronix would set on top of it so I took the one out of the AF , cleaned and lubed it and put it in the AH , they were the exact same thing other than the braided ground was longer and sits over the advance arm and allows the Pertroix to fit.

William

Sent from Mail for Windows 10