[T3] calibrate fuel gauge

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Mar 25 06:58:29 PDT 2019

On 25 Mar 2019 at 0:38, Daniel K. Du Vall wrote:

> Jim mention that to me when I was trying to figure out the jumping gauge
> when you turned on the flashers but all attempt to clean and get better
> connections has not changed that problem either. I am going to be putting
> the car down to rebuilt the engine and also go through the wiring and
> thoroughly clean all connections and replace any wire that is bad since
> this car has a few gremlins electrically.

What year do you have?

Most efforts to "clean" contacts are a waste of time, because you can't really
reach the points of contact on the female connectors. You can wipe loose
crud off the connectors if you like, and lightly squeeze the female connectors
if they are loose.

I really hate to hear of people who go at their connections with steel wool.
This is unlikely to do any good, and has the potential of doing harm by way
of loose bits of steel left behind.

I don't think I've ever replaced a wire, except for the short bits of braid inside
our distributors and between the solenoid and the starter. The other
exceptions are when I've had to replace a whole FI wiring harness because
of extensive damage done by a previous owner.

If the insulation is still good, the copper under it will be fine.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org