[T3] On the subject of fuel senders and fuel gauge. Plus a fewother questions.

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 28 16:23:20 PDT 2019

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Jim Adney
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2019 3:01 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] On the subject of fuel senders and fuel gauge. Plus a fewother questions.

On 28 Mar 2019 at 14:14, William Jahn wrote:

> Ever since then my gauge does not read consistent . If I make a turn it
> drops then comes back . I haven´t pulled the sender out yet since the
> sender has that cover isnTMt itTMs function to not allow fuel slosh to
> affect the float?

Yes, that's the function of the cover. Pull out your sender and check to make
sure the cover is still attached.

 I’ll get another sender gasket , it seals now but might not if I remove the sender . I do recall that tube has the float rod threaded on the end and had a washer bent up to keep the nut from coming loose. Yet I have no idea what the impact back in 2012 might have done.

>  I´m still trying to figure out why the engine when warm has that
> erratic miss and while giving it gas the RPM´s are not steady from
> 1,200 RPM to 2,100 RPM with the IAD temp sensor plugged in.

Please try the test of unplugging the TVS and see if that cures the
staggering idle

 I will , I still have the email you sent with the procedure. I know you think there might be a 300 ohm resister in the ECU  in series with the HTC. You mentioned you had this issue on cold start up  which the 300 ohm resister makes sense . The issue I have shows when the engine is warmed up well past the cold start up. I will still try it and let you know , I want to know . It never did have this issue with the IAD sensor plugged in. I can’t recall when it started just when I noticed it . If the test you suggest does not change it I’m not sure where to look after . One thing that keeps bugging me is when one fellow at pertronix told me when I asked it these units only fail by not worked and was told they can cause missing issues yet he didn’t explain why , this is one reason I was going to go back to points just to rule it out yet I can’t make sense out of what he was saying . Either that of there is a vacuum leak I have not been able to locate. I do know that sensor read what it should and changes as it warms up.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

If you need more help, contact: gregm at vwtype3.org