[T3] Heat Exchanger Straps

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Oct 2 07:30:31 PDT 2019

I'm sure that some of you have noticed that our lower heat exchangers
originally came with some sort of heavy insulation around them, and 2 steel
"shields" under each one that prevented damage to the insulation. All that
stuff was held in place by 4 straps that wrapped around each heat
exchanger.

The OE straps are glavanized steel. They eventually rust away and fall off.
When this happens, the steel shields can fall off and get lost, and the
insulation will start to fall apart. The straps are held by a special kind of
buckle that is much sturdier than the straps, so they can be reused, as long
as you still have them.

Long ago, I sheared a bunch of replacement straps from stainless and Ti
scrap where I worked, into strips that I could use to replace the rusted steel
straps. I was careful to save and reuse the OE buckles whenever I could.
They are a bit thicker than the OE stuff, so they are quite durable, as well as
non-rusting.

I'd like to know if any of you are interested in some replacements. If there's
only a little interest, I can sell what I've got and that will be it. If there's more
interest, I can buy new buckles and get a sheet metal shop to make me more
stainless strips.

Let me know if you're interested. I don't expect this to be expensive. In the
past, I've sold the straps for a couple bucks each.

The rubber bellows on each side of the fan housing, that duct air to the rear
heat exchangers, used clamps at each end, of the same design but smaller. I
could get those parts, too. So also let me know if you're interested in those.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org