[T3] odd issue RPM hangs.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Oct 10 13:44:26 PDT 2019

On 10 Oct 2019 at 11:12, William Jahn wrote:

> I've adjusted the MPS and it does run better. Yesterday I decided to check
> the timing. I lowered the RPM then checked it was 7.5 *BTDC it should be 5.
> I backed it off to 5.

On your late pulley, that is the 3rd timing mark from the left, correct?

>  I can't tell what the issue is why the idle hangs and even when set @ 7.5*
> BTDC it didn't ping . I rebuilt this dist it had no wear and I lubed every
> thing well and it worked fine. If it had a broken spring it would advance
> far to much.

The total amount of mech advance for a '73 is ~21 crankshaft degrees.
That's a limit that's built into the shaft parts. If you had a broken spring, it
would advance faster and get to the max advance at a lower rpm, but you
would not get any more advance.

In fact, if you had a broken spring, you might be working your way up the
advance curve even at idle, so that there would be less than 21 additional
degrees available.

It might be worth looking inside your distributor to make sure that both
springs are still there. It's unlikely that one has broken, as I've never seen
that happen, but could one end have come off?

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org