[T3] odd issue RPM hangs.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Oct 14 17:54:25 PDT 2019

On 14 Oct 2019 at 14:54, William Jahn wrote:

> I noticed what I think the issue I have is. On the Pertronix the
> magnetic ring on the dist point lobe is not a tight fit, If I hold the
> shaft I can rotate that ring close to 1/16" on the points cam and even
> though the rotor sits down on that ring I can still move it and this
> would advance and retard the timing in the same manner

It can be moved, but it's probably snug, not loose. Whereever you
leave it, it will stay there. So it does not contribute to the
advance.

If it did move, it would still not move in proportion to rpm or
vacuum, so its effect would not be predictable.

If it's really loose, that would result in erratic timing, which
would be a problem. If that is the case, you should be able to see
the timing jump around with a timing light. I think that's extremely
unlikely.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org