[T3] Reasons for a sticky clutch after warmup

Jens Vagelpohl jens at type4.org
Sun Oct 20 08:35:19 PDT 2019

Hi guys,

Spoiler alert: The car in question is not a Type 3 but a 1978 VW bus. The clutch setup is similar enough, though.

I have an issue where as the car warms up the clutch apparently disenganges less and less completely. There’s no obvious problem with a cold engine. I can easily engage reverse and all other gears. But as I am driving it appears the clutch gets stickier and stickier.

Fully warmed up it becomes close to impossible to go from neutral into a forward gear when standing. A nighmare at traffic lights. The only way I can manage right now is downshift from second into first as I am rolling towards the stop and keep the clutch pedal pushed. Don’t even think about reverse. When I park somewhere and have to back out of the spot I put it into reverse before starting the engine, there’s no other way.

The shop I took it to thought it was a clutch adjustment issue. They drove it the block a few times to test, but that’s not getting it warm enough.

Has anyone seen similar symptoms on their Type 3 before?

jens