[T3] No longer unhinged

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Oct 15 16:21:54 PDT 2019

Well yesterday was one of those days, a bonus day in the fall where I
actually have time I didn’t expect to do things on the car, with a
non-existent spring

This year the door hinge on the square never got done, and its been
irritating me for years.  Ive read the  thread on the Samba about cutting it
and welding and other

Forms of divine intervention needed to get them out but If I could figure a
way to harvest one from an old door maybe Id tackle it, or see where I got
in prep for another attempt in the spring, which of course, is looking cold
and wet again next year too.

The key is the air chisel, with a round bit, but pounding that bit on an
extending punch is no good, too much lost in that combination, but then the
light bulb went off and it was an LED
 nice and bright, what If I WELD that
punch on the end of the chisel bit with a slight angle to get up into the
hinge?  WALLA!  Came right out!  Well
 with a little difficulty.  The one on
the car came right out too, didn’t even have to remove the door, just
support it and now its closing properly for the first time in many years
 or
nearly so, now that the bottom hinge is tight I can feel some slop in the
top hinge, but not nearly as bad.

Gee
  Sunday looks like a nice warm Sunny day
.

That, and the day also included shoving a caster shim under the right end of
the beam (Plenty of wiggle room just un-doing the right clamp) to get a ¼
shim in there so NOW let’s see where the caster angle is on that side
.  And
front brakes after 65Kmi on those pads, Jim’s NOS ones fit perfectly, no
grinding or fitting, adjusted the rear and now I can spend the winter not
thinking about all I have to do in the spring, especially when spring never
arrives which has been the rule since 2012 here in NY.  Can I get some
Global Warming please?  Or do the folks buried under the Blizzard in the
upper mid-west get first dibs?

I sure hope Sean made it home in the Crate.