[T3] Two Tests

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 17:44:40 PDT 2019

I haven't had that ECU out since 2009. I just removed the old trim cover
the two screws and tipped it back to see what version 028 0r 048  I had in
there when you asked a while back. It's not difficult to get the ECU out
but getting that plug back in since on mine that rubber half moon shaped
grommet doesn't fit over the harness cover , never did.  I have to fight to
get it lined up then check the connector to make sure it's in the slides
and seated fully then get the gray cover slid on then finally the metal
clamp. Using a small mirror and flashlight then fight to get the units
holder cover with the seal back in place . The trim panel went on ok.

 All I managed to do is find out I don't have a wiring issues, made sure
the plugs forked  connectors were all a good fit and for giggles I used
electronic cleaner and sprayed the plug twice and using Q tips soaked in
cleaner went over the ECU board tabs both sides , quite a bit of black came
off even though they looked clean. Not that that's going to fix the issue.
It might have a better connection now that it's at least clean.

 I looked at both the 72 and this 048 and it looked similar yet you really
can't see much through that slot , didn't see any components fall out when
I faced the plug end down and nothing rattled inside for whatever that is
worth. Looked pretty clean inside. From the little I could see under the
main board all the solder joints looked good on top of the main board I
didn't see any burnt components. I cleaned the ground tab on the ECU and
the MPS. The highest resistance I saw on all the grounds from the ECU to
the engine case was .05 ohm most were .02 ohm with the meter leads touching
the meter was zeroed out.

 Is that the only spot they could place the ECU , man!!!!!!! I'm getting to
old for this.