[T3] 2056 engine update

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Aug 7 18:03:53 PDT 2020

On 7 Aug 2020 at 19:38, Keith Park wrote:

> SO.how do you check the bearings with a bore gauge and not damage them?
> That bore gauge puts some decent pressure on things and the bearings are
> mighty soft.

Have you ever tried Plastigauge? It's a pain with our engines, but it works.
Alternatively, clearances that are huge should be easily measurable with a
caliper and clearances that are too tight should be easily noticable when you
try to turn the crank after tightening the case around it.

OTOH, the scars left by a bore gauge are probably completely superficial
and ignorable. The spring force behind them probably varies by brand.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org