[T3] Muffler

cyberfastback cyberfastback at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 15 16:02:15 PST 2020

 If you don't feel like cutting one up I have a couple NOS mid year Leistritz Mufflers, no pre heater pipe, no integral heater boxes (341 251 061B) correct for 66-71 using the 2 piece tail pipe.
If you want to do a straight trade for the one with the pre heater pipe I think you said you have I'd be game.

    On Tuesday, December 15, 2020, 4:35:33 PM EST, Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

 On 15 Dec 2020 at 20:58, Dave Hall wrote:

> I've adapted those mufflers by cutting the pre-heat pipe off to leave a
> couple of inches, then flatten and bend over the stub end to seal it.  No
> need for brazing.

That may work, depending on where it ends up. I've seen other fixes like that
which ended up pointing at wiring, which eventually got burned up, creating
an even bigger problem. I may be overreacting, but I'd really hate to see a
repair turn into a problem.

I used to work in a bike shop, and every fall we would get dozens of bikes in
for tire replacements, because they had been brought to campus on cars
with rear mounted bike racks with the bike hanging down just far enough for
one wheel to end up in the way of the car's exhaust. You'd think that driving
at highway speed would provide enough "wind" that it would cool the tire, but
we'd see tires with 4-6" completely gone. Nothing left except for the bead,
which had been sheltered in the metal rim.

In this case, I'm not sure where that stub would end up. Make sure you know
and assume there will be some very hot exhaust leaking out of there. Point it
in a harmless direction.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

If you need more help, contact: gregm at vwtype3.org