[T3] New to me 1965 notcback, have questions

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Feb 20 12:44:57 PST 2020

On 20 Feb 2020 at 18:22, Eric Nielsen wrote:

> What rubber brake lines should i order?  I was looking at ispwest but i
> couldn't find the exact ones i need.
>
> Are the rear ones the same through out the years 64-68 (swing-axle) ? What
> about the fronts ?

All Type 3 swing axle rear hoses are the same.

All Type 3 drum brake front hoses are the same. I'm not a fan of trying to
convert to disk fronts, for several reasons. It's expensive, it's complicated,
you end up with completely non-standard parts, and you don't get much out
of it other than bragging rights. The OE early front drum brakes, with 2
leading shoes per wheel, give excellent braking performance. Of course they
probably don't work well now, but fixing what you have will be much more
straightforward than trying to convert.

Switching to a dual master is a good idea, but it will be more work than you
expect. You should probably also replace the long center brake line,
because by the time you twist it up to connect to the tandem MC, it will
probably break where it's heavily rusted, under the gas pedal.

You will also run into problems with the hoses from the brake fluid reservoir
to the MC, as your early car has 1 small (5 mm?) hose, while the late MC
expects 2 larger, 7 mm hoses. The late MC also needs a special hard line to
the LF wheel.

I think I have most of the stock style parts you might need.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org