[T3] Engine oil temp?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 23:55:30 PDT 2020

Keith I used to run all mechanical gauges yet with the engine so far from
the dash in these cars it would not only be risky if the oil line broke
they would be pressure issues. I'm not going to go as far as to say these
gauges are accurate yet at least give me some idea that things are working
and I could see if anything leaps out of the range the gauges offer. I
don't keep looking at them. I basically look at what the cold start oil
pressure is then after I've driven a bit see how much it's dropped compared
to the oil temp at idle . Then if the road is clear enough glance at them
then the tach and make a mental note while driving to see what the pressure
is at a higher RPM which I can do as well just bringing up the idle in
neutral at a stop.  Just an oil light is fine yet I still would need to
look  unless it was night driving. All the light tells me if it's set and
works proper is I have 2 to 6 PSI before I rush to shut it down. Now the
type of switch that cuts the engine when the pressure is border line is a
better option. Or one that sets off a buzzer. I'd prefer the gauges were
mounted in front closer to eye level.

 I know most cars of many makes had gauges and lights which were far less
accurate then the VDO I have . Worked on the same basic principle just
quite a lot more crude.  Later fords had fuel gauges that only took a
reading on some time based idea so at one point you see 1/2 tank then it
was higher or lower worst was seeing 1/8 tank then empty customers always
complained about this.

 I  can't recall a car or truck I ever had that didn't have at the very
least a water temp and oil pressure gauge as well as a light or two.

 Yes it sounds as though I'm trying to convince myself or others, the truth
is I like more than just a light. And I had a 66 bug and 68 Karmann Ghia
and they had just a light and nothing ever happened.