[T3] Gauges, oil...

ftalker at gmail.com ftalker at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 08:47:09 PDT 2020

Hi there
While I’ve not driven my ‘69 T3 in some while, I did manage a long weekend in my ‘65 T2 recently.  Each is equipped with multiple gauges as I enjoy monitoring, (scientifically accurate or no), the engines as they operate in various environments.  I live at 7K+ feet and mountain driving takes its toll on these older vehicle designs.  So, in short, I’ve relied on these monitoring systems for many years.  My bus, incidentally, has both copper-lined mechanical as well as electric oil pressure gauges, as the lag time in registration for the mechanical gauge makes it practically less useful than the light In the event of pressure loss.  But, though of different manufacture and design, they are the same in their readings throughout their range.
Berg, while superior in many respects as both innovator and supplier, always held a cold eye to others who dared tread, (or, trade), in his world.  I’ve always suspected that his focus on “inaccuracies” in the available gauges was a result less of those inaccuracies than of his competition’s wish to make them widely available.  He liked exclusives.
As for oils, I’ve used Castrol and Valvoline since I’ve been driving these cars.  Adding supplements for flat tappet wear prevention has also been essential.  And, as both flow and pressure are important, multigrade 10-30 or 10-40 have been my choices.
If anyone wishes to see pictures of gauges and layout for my T3, (or T2 for that matter), let me know at my email.  I don’t do social media.
Best,
Frank

Sent from my iPhone