[T3] Engine oil temp?

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 09:38:36 PDT 2020

The only thing I don't quite understand is on what basis has anyone tested
these gauges to say for certain they are not accurate or at least very
close to being so. The only true way to know would be to use a good screw
in oil pressure gauge on the cooler fitting and check that against what the
electric VDO setup reads.

 I feel as long as the wiring to the senders and gauges is done properly
and the grounds are done properly they will be as good as they can get.
 I know my old oil pressure gauge had issues because just with the key on
the gauge read 10 PSI and the sender should read 10 OHM engine off , my old
one read from 9.5 ohm to over 95 ohm just by tapping it with my fingers .
The new one stays at 10 ohm engine off . It reads completely different from
the old ones.  Before this I even replaced the wiring and put the ground on
the battery to the rear seat wall ground . None of that changed a thing. I
added inline fuses to the gauges between the fuse box and battery positive
on the gauges just in case and use a relay for the power source. When I
first installed them direct to a spare key on fuse on a 73 that's #12 they
didn't seem to read proper so I used a 12 volt relay used fuse 9 hot all
the time that powers that insane key buzzer for the feed source then fuse
12 to the relay coil and that fixed the issue.