[T3] Gauges, oil...

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jul 21 10:41:18 PDT 2020

On 21 Jul 2020 at 9:47, ftalker at gmail.com wrote:

> My bus, incidentally, has both copper-lined mechanical as well as
> electric oil pressure gauges, as the lag time in registration for the
> mechanical gauge makes it practically less useful than the light In the
> event of pressure loss.

Bleeding that copper line, to get rid of air bubbles, will reduce the lag time
significantly. It's easy to do, and you won't get a huge spray of oil out of the
end because there's too much resistance to flow with all the cold oil in that
narrow tube between the gauge and the engine.

Just loosen the fitting at the back of the gauge, with the engine running, and
let it drip into a can for a few minutes, or until bubbles stop. One advantage
of plastic tubing is that you can see the bubbles.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org