[T3] Keith's T4 Charging Dilemma

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jun 2 17:28:11 PDT 2020

Well I thought it was the VR too, tried an NOS spare, same thing, then I got
the electronic one as I was so happy with that in the T3 engine, same issue.
The alternator was a new Bosch, has about 10K on it now, always been this
way.  I have another, if it werent so much work Id swap it out but there are
so many things higher up on the priority list this spring, well, because we
didnt HAVE a spring, I got NOTHING done till the past couple weeks... I
might get caught up around the end of June or early July  We'll see...  its
still raining alot and quite cold.

Keith

 Keith, if I didn't know any better I'd say you you either have a bad VR, or

the alt is on it's way out (time for rebuilding). Like Jim already
mentioned,
the system should be putting out at least 14.5 volts at start up, and with
an alt it should be holding pretty close to that even after warm up. I guess

that's why some guys convert their t-4 engines to running the older GM
alternators (back in the day it was common), since everything is built
inside
them (including the VR), but also give more amps. I think I'd look at the
brushes, the diodes, and maybe even check out the rectifier bridge inside
your old one. It's possible that the commutator surfaces are dirty as
well.There's got to be a reason for the low output, and if the alt checks
out, that
only leaves the VR. It doesn't help that your Square is set up to use a lot
of
power to run your accessories.I hope this helps.Bob 65 Notch S w/Sunroof