[T3] Fuel Pressure Gauge"s

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jun 3 10:49:21 PDT 2020

On 3 Jun 2020 at 12:26, Jim Adney wrote:

> I'm assuming you want a gauge for temporary hookup to check your
> pressure. I have good hose for $3/ft.

BTW, in most cases, you're not looking for a precise pressure value. For a
'71, you're looking for ~30 psi that doesn't change under load. If you're
seeing problems that might be related to load, you'd want a long hose so you
can watch the pressure while you drive, because there will never be
significant load while the car is standing still.

You should not see any change in pressure under any circumstances, even
when driving. If you see the pressure drop when accelerating, you're not
getting enough fuel delivery from the pump. The usual cause of this is a
clogged filter screen or a clogged filter. Those can be cleaned or replaced.

The most common cause of clogging is a cracked overflow hose. This is a
VERY common problem and I make kits to repair that NLA OG hose. Every
'68-'73 Type 3 needs one of these kits installed, even if you're now running
carbs. Water and dirt in the gas is just as hard on carbs as it is on the FI.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org