[T3] Flame Thrower Distributor

Daniel Keith Du Vall dduvall at 1peter4-10.org
Thu Jun 11 07:29:09 PDT 2020

My 2 cents. This distributer is just like the bosch 009 body wise. First find TDC on Cylinder number one. To do this remove spark plug from number 1 and rotate engine till the piston is at TDC using something like a screw driver for visual. Verify it matches the mark on the crank fan assembly for type3. Once you have determined that the crank is at TDC rotate the mark on the distributer body till it centers on the rotor. This will give you the initial TDC. Once this is set it should run enough to use a timing light to fine tune it.  Depending on your fan assemble there are additional marks if you can't get it to idle at TDC move the crank to one of the marks and then realign the distributer body to center the line on the rotor.

Link to one image of the marks and there respective degrees from the VW type 3 and 4 club site.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/robfish/P1030560.jpg

Hope this helps,
Daniel Du Vall