[T3] Oil cooler seals.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jun 20 09:57:23 PDT 2020

On 20 Jun 2020 at 9:08, William Jahn wrote:

> where I do see fresh oil is on the bottom tins and of course the floor,
> especially if I have the engine running

Once upon a time, I had a rather moderate leak on an engine that I had just
rebuilt. Eventually I discovered that this was around the oil sump plate.
When I had bolted the engine case halves together, I assumed they would
line up perfectly on their own, but on that case, the 2 sides didn't quite
match. There was a "step" at the case seam, about 1/2 mm high. The oil
change gaskets couldn't quite seal that much of a mismatch. This step was
easily felt when I ran a finger around that gasket surface, but I had not
thought to do that as I assembled the engine.

At the next oil change, I was able to loosen all the nuts along the bottom
case seam and work the 2 sides back into alignment. It didn't take any real
effort, so I don't know what I did wrong in the original assembly process, but
this is something I always check now.

Of course, I've also come across sumps where someone left half a gasket
stuck to the case. That's also something a new gasket won't seal.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org