[T3] (Fwd) 1969 Fastback Fuel pump

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jun 22 08:24:02 PDT 2020

On 22 Jun 2020 at 6:32, Tim Schiller wrote:

> I may have declared victory a little too soon. Fuel relay appears to work
> with the 2-click and the appropriate voltage to each terminal. Car also
> starts with no apparent problem. However, the fuel relay oeclicks
> almost continuously.
>
> If a grounding problem, can I remove the 19 ground wire from fuel relay
> and ground the fuel relay directly to body to see if clicking stops?

I'd start by trying to determine if the main power relay is also clicking almost
continuously. That would narrow down the possible causes. Do this by
putting your hand on that relay so you can feel it click.

If the main power relay is NOT clicking. the problem must be in the wire #19
wiring, the brain, or the in the relay itself. Start by finding the wire 19
connection on the wall just to the left of the IAD. Make sure that connection
is secure. Make sure all the push-on connectors on both relays are tight.

Providing your own ground for the fuel pump relay coil ground, as you
suggested, would be a way to test that relay alone, but it would be somewhat
difficult to do, since that connector is in a plastic housing. I've never seen a
relay fail in this way, but it's possible. I have good used relays if you need
one.

You could ground the wire running forward from the left of the IAD. If that
stops the continuous clicking, that clears the relay and the wiring from there
forward, leaving the FI harness and the brain itself as suspects.

If the main power relay IS clicking, check the wiring from the ignition switch
to that relay, and the ground wire for the brain, which should be somewhere
near the middle of the engine case. Also find and check the 2 connectors
that bring power to the FI harness at the far left front corner of the engine
compartment.

If it comes down to the brain, there's a single transistor in there that controls
wire 19. Sometimes the leads on that transistor rust away on cars that have
seen a lot of moisture. I can replace that transistor or sell you a good B
brain; the cost is about the same either way. So far, however, I've only seen
this problem on D brains, where Bosch used a different fiber spacer under
that transistor. That spacer tended to hold moisture against the leads.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org