[T3] There will be a 4th build

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 25 18:25:36 PDT 2020

2056 is coming out of the Square again, but this time there is no stock
engine to put back in!

The first build failed because the AA cylinder set was defective, the galley
plugs were done wrong and I removed the windage tray, which maybe you don't
need in a bus

As if your going around a corner that fast your Bus will be on its side, but
in our application you need the tray AND a Tuna can sump to keep from oil
starvation.

The second build failed when the lifters showed wear from not rotating,
amongst a couple smaller problems.  The third build re-used the same AA
cylinders and KB pistons

>From build 2 which were noisy when cold but fine when hot but some may
remember that when I started it with the break in oil, which I used because
it had a new cam and lifters in it (same

Cylinder/piston set, I never even pulled the pistons from the jugs) the
engine got so tight when at temperature that it almost wouldn't crank over
(it was NOT overheated).

So since new the 3rd build, which now has 10Kmi on it has sounded like a
diesel once warmed for a few minutes, clatters like mad below 2000RPM, above
that. fine, when started cold, fine. unlike build 2 which was noisy cold and
quiet hot. now one of the pistons clangs away pretty bad in there till fully
warmed so its time to do something before something bad happens.

Since it's the same piston/cyl set from build 2 it must be that the break in
oil damaged them, it was only in there for 40 miles but this kid at
1000miles on it already, so they were basically broken in.  and ONE person
on the forum suggested that this was an issue with break in oils.  Anyone
else heard of this?  Once the oil was changed everything was free moving
when hot.

Gee. this harkens back to the Amzoil days when that ruined my engine back in
the 80's!

After talking with the Kit designer Jake Raby, Im going to bore out the
original 2L 94mm jugs to 96 and use those with new KB pistons, and have the
shop fit them carefully, last round I just put the pistons in the Jugs, set
the rings and was done with it but the Stubby little offsetless KB's are
VERY sensitive to clearance and Jake hates the quality of the AA's cast as
well as the poor quality control of their boring so they are probably the
issue here.  The good news is that the lower end is perfect, excellent oil
pressure and no starvation, still a bit worried about the valve lifters as
nobody could figure out why the last set didn't rotate but the adjustment
has held fine in the past 10Kmi so they are probably OK.

So once again.  Sigh!!!  Cheap parts are really a problem out there!

I keep hearing this voice, STOCK..  Come BACK to the light..  But im afraid
that my accelerator pedal would never feel same again!