[T3] There will be a 4th build

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sat Jun 27 08:51:29 PDT 2020

I think I was one of Jake's early Canaries, I bought the kit in 2002 and
didnt build it till 2009 or so, by then it was hitting the fan and he was on
his way out with the kits.

I was a bit worried about boring out the 94mm to 96, but Jake recommended it
and he KNOWS those OEM cylinders (dont ask how WELL he knows them!)  :-)
Still, .040 on the skirts seems a bit thin, but then again...  I remember
the paper thin skirts of the slip in 88's, never want to go that direction
again!

For us though, yea, I think you probably could fit a KB piston into and 86mm
jug, not sure... keep the thick walls and OEM cylinders.  I have a kit of
REAL Mahle's still in stock, just in case...

I have a local shop here that looked at one and had no issues with doing the
boring, they have been around for a long time and Ive never heard anything
bad about them, Ill probably have them do the boring and fitting for me.

as I said, last time I just did the rings and slipped the pistons in the
jugs, cant do that anymore and the KB's are very critical skirt clearance
with their short stature, and even then, its normal for them to be noisy
when cold.

Keith

Topnotch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com