[T3] Oil cooler seals.

William Jahn willjahn975 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 17:51:23 PDT 2020

Jim :
 I changed the oil today, used Valvoline VR1 , had enough left for one oil
change.
What I never checked was the sump plate and I used the one off the 72 which
has the drain plug. I needed it because the 73 plate was really butchered
and because I wanted to add a VDO temp sensor all I knew about were the
ones they offered for the sump.

 I drove the car to get the oil really warmed up then it drained better and
while I cleaned the screen and plate I decided to check the plate for
flatness around the 6 holes. I always just cleaned it , never over
tightened the  cap nuts. I decided to check it and the 6 holes were dimpled
. I did the best I could with a ball peen hammer , plate on hardwood
striking the ball peen with another hammer. It was better yet still not
flat so I filed each hole flat and then polished the surface with wet /dry
600 . I also discovered since I didn't want to ruin the sender I removed it
and it was too easy maybe 3 ft lbs. I had good copper drain crush washers
and replaced that. Today I put it all back together. This time I only used
a nut driver and 10 mm socket and did the same star pattern three times
with maybe 20 minutes between just to allow the gasket Felpro brand to
compress. I didn't file off much. Maybe .010" the plate is still plenty
thick. I had an old Empi chrome plate yet it was complete garbage, nothing
like the original and certainly not what I would consider flat.

 I don't know why I never checked the plate around the holes, I just looked
at it, cleaned it and back on it went. I just assumed since I never over
tightened it it was fine.

 I know there are other leaks yet the plate always seems to develop oil
drops on the 6 cap nuts. Maybe now this will slow things down. Nothing
looked like much gray sludge, just a bit of black bits that were not
magnetic, Turns out I had to tighten the two cap breather and I did this
after the last oil change and as you know to get at the nut you need to
remove the barrel and washer . I cleaned those yet some of that crud had to
drop down in the sump just pulling them out.

William