[T3] hanger bar on 68 notchback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Mar 12 09:53:05 PDT 2020

Jeff, perfect call. I failed to notice that detail in his photo.

So what he has is an IRS car, presumably a '68 that was originally sold in
europe with the odd '68 AT with dual Solex carbs (which was IRS, while all
other '68s were swing axle.) Or this is a '69. An AT pan would have a place
where the shift cable exited on the underside, somewhat to the rear and left
of the hand brake lever. If this is now MT, that leaves an unused "port" on
the underside of the pan. That this car came from europe makes the '68 AT
option possible.

Mystery solved, but he still needs a rear mount crossbar.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org