[T3] hanger bar on 68 notchback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri Mar 13 07:37:57 PDT 2020

Mark, you raise an interesting question. I only checked the parts list for the
rear mount crossbar itself. After reading your post, below, I tried to find the
body mounts that you describe, and finally found them on the engine
mounting parts page. Oddly, those parts changed in '69. So they were
different in the first '68 ATs.

Unfortunately, my parts book only covers Squares, Fastys, and Notches.For
some parts, Type 34s are covered, but it's hard to tell. I have the microfilm
for Ghias, both Types 1 & 3, but I don't have a decent way to read it. So I'm
unable to tell if they show up for all, or a larger number of, '68 Type 34
bodies. It's also possible that they were installed in more Type 34 bodies
than got mated to AT pans. VW might not make that clear in the Type 34
parts list since the parts list was for the purpose of repairs, and those parts
would only have been needed for repair of AT '68 Type 34s.

Your 3/68 AT/IRS/dual carb 345 fits perfectly with the fact that the Type 3 AT
started with VIN 3X8 015 226 and only came with dual Solex carbs in that
year. All Type 3 ATs were IRS. Yours must have been one of the very first
ones. Looking at the carbs section, I see that only the first pair, L & R, of AT
(M249) carbs came with the altitude correctors. I can't tell how long that pair
was used, but there were several L/R pairs used on AT cars after that.

As an aside, it's interesting to note that there were 52 different PDSIT carbs
used over the years on Type 3s. I assume that's about half lefts and half
rights. The ones with the altitude correctors were the 311 129 027/8 B
versions. I don't think the altitude correctors have ever come up on this
forum before. It looks like they were only fitted to Type 34s like yours.

My own '68 Square (RIP) was FI/MT, so it was swing axle. It's OE engine
case had the cast bosses for the rear mount, but they had not been drilled,
tapped, and Helicoiled for the rear mount crossbar. I believe that case had a
211 part number in the casting, which is consistent with the fact that Type 2s
got a crossbar starting in '68. (I think; correct me on that if I'm wrong.) That
car's body did not have the hanger mounts for the rear crossbar. Most '68s
that I've seen did not have the cast in bosses.

So you've got TWO Type 34s. I hope you'll forgive me for a moment of envy.
;-)

Thanks for providing your interesting additional information.

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org