[T3] Wiring Harness Thoughts

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Mar 23 07:34:42 PDT 2020

Jeff, I think it's unlikely that replacing your harness would fix your problems.
Many of the ills that are blamed on "old copper" just don't make sense, and
even your experience with the nasty residue is not all going to be cured with
a new harness.

Fire damage is a separate issue. You may be able to replace individual
wires, but that is often quite difficult. Otherwise, Dennis's suggestion is the
best one: Find a better, genuine VW harness from a donor '67, because the
aftermarket harnesses tend to be correct for just a few years, while VW
made changes almost every year, and sometimes more than once in a year.
(There were three different versions in '71!) Things were simpler in the early
years before FI, so that might make your search easier.

Part of your problem may be due to bad grounds. That is certainly the case
with the gauge lights. VW started adding ground wires to everything in '69,
which fixed a lot of those problems, but in '67 the instrument lights all
depend on the retaining clips for their grounds. As time has shrunk the vinyl
dashpad, those clips no longer get pressed as tightly against the backside of
the metal dash, making the grounds undependable.

You might also check the retaining springs on each gauge. The mounting
arms for them often get bent. The 2 arms should be parallel. When mounted
in the dash, the springs should NOT go outside the little bumps in the metal
dash. You can feel these bumps if you take one of the gauges out.

Finally, at least starting in '68, there is a ground lug on the brace under the
glove box that a lot of things used, but this depended on a number of
daisy-chained wires, that connected a lot of things together. I don't know if
this was there in '67, but if it was, then it's important for that ground chain to
be unbroken.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org