[T3] 2020 Invasion - POSTPONED

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon May 4 09:52:04 PDT 2020

On 4 May 2020 at 2:24, Larry Thrasher wrote:

> So far, we've had only 5 cases in the county I live in, but it's rather a
> small town in a rural county. We've been lucky.

I think everyone knows that our more rural areas will be the last ones to be
hit, simply because of their relative isolation. Later is probably better, but the
thing to keep in mind is not only your local population density but also the
"depth" of your local health care system. I recently learned that only about
half of US counties have ANY ICU beds, and almost half of rural counties
don't even have a hospital.

> On a more 'on list' subject, I finally got the front fender repaired
> and repainted on the SqBk. I also decided to 'treat' him to a set of
> the stainless trim from ISP West. Dummy me, I ordered the Euro-spec
> set, so I decided to go whole-hog and get the fender marker lights too.
> Regarding that, do they work in tandem with the turn signals or just as
> parking lights?

I think there were several ways they could be wired, depending on the
requirements of the market they were sold to. This was probably tied to the
lens color. Some were turn signals, some may have been running lights, and
some were parking lights that only came on when you turned the key off and
pulled the TS switch in one direction or another. That would light up only that
side light to help keep your car from being sideswiped when parked
alongside the road. Some of these options probably required a different
parking light switch and maybe even a different ignition switch.

> Also Jim, do you have any of the CD ignition boxes left?

Yes, I do, prices range from $125 to $165, but I'll answer that directly to you.

I had actually planned to make my tech talk at the next Invasion all about
ignition systems and how they work, with emphasis on the standard, OE,
Kettering system that nobody seens to understand. I would also try to
explain CDI and "Electronic" systems.

Oh well, maybe next year....  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org