[T3] Diesel Oil, Flat Tappets & Gas Engines

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Fri May 8 21:25:21 PDT 2020

On 8 May 2020 at 22:40, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> Does the diesel engine oil that you buy at Fleet Farm (?) have all the
> additives that you feel are "healthy" for our 50+ year old engines? ZDDP?
> What weight do you buy?

It's a 15W-40 diesel oil. I suspect it has more ZDDP than auto oil,
but, again, that's an assumption based on the fact that it meets some
earlier specs. I add some Lucas supplement to it. The Lucas
supplement come in bottles that cost $10 and will cover 2 oil
changes.

I'm still not convinced that excess zinc would cause more wear.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org