[T3] (Fwd) Titanium blocks on Seattle Craigslist, $1/lb

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue May 19 07:16:11 PDT 2020

Anyone into making light parts from exotic materials? Here's an ad from the
Seattle Craigslist, forwarded from the bicycle framebuilders email list. I've
been scratching my head, trying to think of something I need to make where
I might be able to use some of this.

It's worth following the link, just to see the bin full of these Ti chunks he's
got. They must be "drops" from Boeing.

If you go for some of this, keep in mind that Ti is the ONLY element that
burns in both oxygen and nitrogen. Not a problem with the big chunks, but
be careful of the chips. Ti burns white hot and fires are very difficult to put
out.

Jim

Ti 10v-2fe-3al alloy, dunno what you might use it for.  Google for material
properties, weldability etc -- don't ask me! Has hundreds of chunks, two
sizes, 1/2 lb and 3/4 lb.

See the ad here:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/for/d/kirkland-titanium-blocks/7124067813.ht
ml

A guy on our local "metalheads" mailing list reports:
I saw it, and bought a couple handfuls!  I've never had firsthand experience
with this alloy of titanium before, but it does machine readily.  Having not
done any actual material datasheet research, it seems a bit less hard than
the 6Al-4V that I usually machine.  Note that these pieces were waterjet cut,
so there is some abrasive material still embedded in the titanium, use a
sacrificial face mill or something to get below the skin of the part before
machining.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org