[T3] Bracket bolt

charles tupper bbfn_o51951 at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 15:17:51 PDT 2020

Oh...a plus. Found a mouse best in there...so, really have to pop the tin now! Just about there. I've invented some new cuss words today.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 11:35, Jim Adney<jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:   Charlie,

Ouch, I can understand how that would have come as a surprise, but I think
you're now about to get into this engine a bit farther than you'd intended.
Look at the good side: You don't have to get INSIDE the engine, just under
the tin.

You can do this with the engine IN the car.

To remove the tin, you'll have to remove the generator, the distributor, the
left side intake air runners, and the left side injectors, plus the little cover
plates over the spark plug holes and under the injectors. Once all the screws
are out, it's possible to work the tin up and out of the car. The hard part will
be getting all the little 6 mm screws loose. Some of them will be rusted solid,
unless this is a rust free car. The hard screws to reach will be those at the
front of the tin, including the ones that attach it to the front tin. You'll need a
very large screwdriver that completely fills the slots in the screw heads.

You can usually free these by heating the bolts or the weld nuts with a
propane torch.  Some of them are best reached from below. For all of these,
watch where your flame is going, because you don't want to burn thru a fuel
line and start a fire.

Once you get everything apart, this is a good time to replace the oil cooler
seals and the foam on top of the oil cooler. I have those parts, as well as
screws and washers, if you need them. I like to replace the screws that hold
the spark plug tin with hex heads, to make future removal easier.

Take your time. This is difficult but not impossible.

Sorry to hear of your "surprise."  ;-p

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org

If you need more help, contact: gregm at vwtype3.org