[T3] 1971 fuel injected fastback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed May 27 06:54:22 PDT 2020

This could be either too much or too little fuel. For a '71 here are seveal
common possibilities to check:

Verify that when you turn the key ON, you hear a relay click and then a
second click about 1 second later. If someone has worked on the starter and
miswired it, you will not get the second click and the FI will be in cold
weather "choke" (rich!) mode.

Check the system voltage. It should be above 14 V measured at the battery,
at medium rpm, with the engine warmed up. If it gets below 13.5 V the FI
starts to run too rich. If below 13.5 V replace the voltage regulator with a
Bosch 30 019. I have these in stock. While you're at it, make sure the fluid in
your battery is covering the plates. If necessary, top up with distilled water.
[Important: "Topped up" means fluid up to the bottom of the fill ports, which
will be about 1" BELOW the top of the cell opening.]

Check that the vacuum hose from the pressure sensor is still connected on
BOTH ends. Also, using a spare piece of hose, connect one end of that hose
to the pressure sensor and suck on the other end. You should be able to
develop a decent vacuum in the pressure sensor. If it's leaking it will be
obvious and it will need to be replaced. I have good used replacements. You
can also send it to me to be cleaned and to have a new O-ring installed if
there's a very small leak there.

As others have mentioned, it could be fuel pressure which should be
constant at ~30 psi.. If it runs okay for 20-25 minutes the pump and filter are
probably okay, but the fuel pump relay could be getting resistive. If this car
has either of my fuel primer switches installed, switching the primer switch
ON will bypass the relay and that would tell you where the problem is. If it's
the relay, you can take it apart and clean the contacts or get a better relay
from me. A gauge and long hose is the only sure way to eliminate fuel
pressure as the problem.

It could be the FI trigger points in the distributor. You can try to find a
replacement or I can readjust yours. The best option would be to send me
your distributor to be rebuilt; I would adjust the trigger points in that process,
as well as go thru everything else.

It could be the cylinder head temp sensor, although this is not as common as
some people seem to think. Make sure the wire has been allowed to come
straight out of the sensor and has not been bent severely where it exits the
sensor. The only way to check it would be to disconnect it from the harness
once the engine is hot and has died. Measure the resistance of the sensor. It
should be neither zero or infinity. There's no magic number here, but it's
likely to measure 200-2000 Ohms. The resistance comes down as the temp
goes up.

Long shot: Try a different rotor and cap.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress,

Jim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org