[T3] (Fwd) 1969 Fastback Fuel pump

charles tupper bbfn_o51951 at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 13:29:10 PDT 2020

Wow! I feel your pain, Tim! Went through the same issues and Jim helped me fix it. Not an easy one-person job, that's for sure.
Good luck! Follow Jim's instructions...he knows these problems well!

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 13:13, Jim Adney<jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:   I'm forwarding this message from Tom Shiller who is a somewhat fresh Type
3 owner having a problem with his '69. I'll post it here so he can take
advantage of everyone's input.

Hi Tom, and welcome to the Type 3 email list. '69 is a very nice year for
Type 3s; I love mine. Your story is pretty typical and it's likely that there's a
simple solution, or several simple solutions. Here are some things you can
check.

When you turn the key ON, you should hear a relay click under the dash and
then a second click about 1 second later. That's the fuel pump relay that's
screwed to the firewall just left of where the steering column exits. You can
repeat this as many times as you like, going from OFF to ON, but not to
START. Do you hear 2 clicks? If you're having trouble hearing, put your
hand on the relay so you can FEEL it click.

If you're getting 2 clicks, the fuel pump should run during that 1 second. You
may not be able to hear it from the driver's seat, so get a friend to listen with
their head near the top of the RF tire. They should hear a whirr from the
pump motor for 1 second each time you turn the key ON.

If no motor sounds, make sure the battery is well charged. One of those
cheap Harbor Freight battery maintainers can be a good investment. Also
buy one of their cheap voltmeters. Play with the voltmeter until you think you
understand how to use it. Measuring a standard AA or D Cell is a good way
to practice.

Set the voltmeter to a DC Voltage scale above 12 V and connect one wire to
a good ground and connect the other lead to the red wire that runs from the
fuel pump relay forward thru a hole in the firewall. That red wire, and the
brown wire that runs with it, feeds the fuel pump. The meter should register
some voltage during the 1 second that the relay is ON.

You can bypass the relay and energize the pump full time by shorting
between the 2 red wires on the fuel pump relay. You should get a small
spark when you do this; if you don't, that means there's a problem with the
wiring or inside the pump. There was a design flaw in the ground (brown)
wire routing in '68-9, so that could be part of your problem. I have a cheap kit
that fixes that problem, but there was a mid year change in '69, so I'll need
your VIN to sell you the right kit.

If none of this gets the pump to run, I can rebuild it as long as it's the later
style, with 3 parallel fuel hose ports. If it's the early style, with one port at
right angles to the other 2, I MAY be able to fix it. The early pumps are
completely different, but they seldom fail.

If your pump motor spins, but the engine still won't start, the problem could
still be inside the pump (motor spins, but pump doesn't pump.) I can fix that
common problem.

Let us know what you find and we'll go from there.

Jim

I just joined the VWType3.Org mailing list. Your email was mentioned on The
Samba a few times related to fuel pumps and I thought I would reach out for
help.

My 69 fastback was running fine and then started to sputter. It would then
start but when I tried to give it more fuel it would die. The tow truck driver
was very nice and I got home.

The car has sat for approximately 12 years indoors. It appears to be
unmolested with 1 couple owning for 35 years then selling to their mechanic
who had it for 15 years before I got it. I've probably put about 150 miles on
the car since I purchased.

I changed the fuel filter. No start and I can't hear the pump (not sure if I am
supposed to be able to hear it).
I replaced the pump relay. No start and still can't hear the pump.
I checked the #11 fuse and it appears good, but don't know if it could be bad
even though it doesn't look broken
My next step would be to remove the fuel pump and test it.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. I am pretty new to the VW world, but
learning

Thanks in advance

Tim

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org