[T3] 1971 fuel injected fastback

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed May 27 18:13:36 PDT 2020

This reminds me, a seldom mentioned characteristic of D jet often not
mentioned by the experts.  One thing that has bothered me with the T4 engine
and its alternator is that system voltage is much less than the T3.  With
the T3 and the electronic regulator Jim mentions below it was a rock steady
14V unless maybe you had ALL the lights and accessories on.  With the T4 it
would be more like 13-13.5, so I finally went with an electronic T4
regulator, and again, not as high.  When driving at night with the low beams
on im at 13.1, with highs on its 12.8 or 12.9.

now I calibrated my D jet to run where the system voltage is so its
compensated for, but perhaps I should see if the gas mileage is less when I
drive at night than during the day...

Keith

Check the system voltage. It should be above 14 V measured at the battery,
at medium rpm, with the engine warmed up. If it gets below 13.5 V the FI
starts to run too rich. If below 13.5 V replace the voltage regulator with a

Bosch 30 019. I have these in stock. While you're at it, make sure the fluid
in
your battery is covering the plates. If necessary, top up with distilled
water.
: gregm at vwtype3.org