[T3] Steering column help

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Nov 19 14:56:13 PST 2020

On 19 Nov 2020 at 15:23, Max Welton wrote:

> What type of grease is recommended for the ball bearing in the steering
> column?

That's a very undemanding location, so I doubt if it matters much. It doesn't
get hot there, it's very low speed, and water is not a problem. Most common
greases are NLGI 2, which is a rather light visconsity. For this bearing, I'd
use something thicker, like an NLGI 3 that would be more likely t stay in
place for years. Look for something in a tin rather than in a cartridge.

Speaking of greases, I'd love to find an NGLI 3 grease in grease gun
cardridges that had MoS2 additive. I'd like to have that for our front axle
bearings. Anyone know of one?

I've been using an NLGI 2 Moly grease because that's all I can find in
grease gun cartridges, but VW actually specs a thicker grease.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org