[T3] Steering column help

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Nov 5 08:21:04 PST 2020

On 4 Nov 2020 at 10:54, Max Welton wrote:

> Now, I have the brown Bentley and the car is a 67 so it's the wrong
> book. But I can't even find 68+ instructions to start with.

I think your '67 column is almost completely different from all the later
columns. The only similar parts would be the shaft, horn circuit and wheel.
The turn signal switch and lock assy. are completely different.

I don't see the bearing in your photo. I'd start there, get the shaft in place,
and then see how the turn signal switch fits.

There might be good cause to consider swapping to a later Type 3 column.
The early ign. sw. is NLA and the TS switch is fiddly. Starting in '68 we also
got a collapsing shaft, which could be a lifesaver in a crash.

Don't swap in a '71 column; that one has a one year only ign. switch. '68-70
should be easy fits, with available parts. '71 and later would require a lot of
wiring changes.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org