[T3] FOUND it!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Oct 17 10:32:06 PDT 2020

On 16 Oct 2020 at 20:28, Keith Park wrote:

> Put some miles on the new engine last weekend and it put some smiles
> on ME! and noticed that the ONLY time it would miss, was over 1200 and
> under 2500 RPM, Hmmm. what would Do THAT? So I swapped out the least
> likely problem, the control unit, and Walla!  Its FIXED!

Hmmm, what brain are you using? What part number, and Type 3, Type 4,
or 914/4?

Any chance this was just a contact problem, that might have been fixed by
the action of simply moving the contacts? I'd love to see you go back to the
original ECU to confirm that the problem was actually the ECU. The Idiot's
guide suggests that some problems may occur because of loose contacts in
the brain connector. I've never seen this, but I cut up a scrap brain board to
make test pieces that I can slide into that connector to check the tightness of
one contact at a time. Need one?

Nevertheless, it's inevitable for there to be variations in the ECUs, even if
there's nothing "wrong" with them. Unless this was a contact problem, that's
probably the case here, because I don't see any other reason for your miss
to occur in just one RPM range.

Regardless, Congratulations!

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org