[T3] New brake line help

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Sep 27 17:44:43 PDT 2020

On 27 Sep 2020 at 16:32, Max Welton wrote:

> So the guy that took this car apart lost the center tunnel brake line.
> I have a new one from ISP and the tubing bender but I need to know
> what it's supposed to look like. I presume it passes through the hole
> under the master cylinder and uses a grommet.

He probably lost it because it was toast. Perhaps ISP got you one that's
right, but the ones commonly available for Beetles are a couple inches too
short for us. I make them myself, from the newish CuNi allow that won't rust,
and in the right length for Type 3s.

> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2093554.jpg

> Also, does the tubing just lie in the bottom of the tunnel? Seems like
> it would rattle that way.

Install it now, when there's no seat there and the body isn't in the way. Yes,
it comes out that hole in your photo, with a grommet, under the pedal cluster,
and runs along the bottom edge of the tunnel, under the seat rail, in the
angle where the tunnel and the floor meet. I believe there are some tabs
there that should hold it down and in place. Then it goes up under the back
seat and thru the double wall (two grommets) to the Tee where it splits to the
L and R.

VW used different styles of grommets every few years. I have some of them,
but you'd have to tell me what you need. I can't tell for you. Depends on the
size of the hole you're going thru. You probably won't be able to install new
grommets on the already made-up line without splitting them. I like to install
the grommets on the line before the line nuts get in the way.

It's a real pain to install in a complete car, but with the body off it should be a
piece of cake. This is the time to do it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org