[T3] Inner lower bushing dimensions?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Sep 2 12:26:08 PDT 2020

On 2 Sep 2020 at 12:49, Max Welton wrote:

> Am I supposed to have four of these? I only have one.
>
> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2084455.jpg

That's what's left of an upper thrust bearing. I've NEVER seen one so worn
out. You're supposed to have 2. The lowers don't need thrust bearings, as
they are fixed by the far ends of the bars. They get a large O-ring instead.

It is VERY common for the upper torsion bar to get loose in the left upper
trailing arm. If left unattended, this will rather quickly auger out the anchor
hole in that arm. It can be fixed, but this can be difficult. Check the left end of
that bar. If the dimple in it has worn to a slot you'll need to flip it over and drill
another (deeper) dimple. Then you'll need to weld some fresh metal along
the edges of the flat on the opposite side, to fill the now enlarged hole in the
arm. Note that the "flat" in that hole is no longer flat, so a flat bar will always
be free to rock in that hole, no matter how tight you make the set screw.

This is one of the weaknesses in the Type 3 design.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org