[T3] Reconstruction begins

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun Sep 6 18:21:45 PDT 2020

looks fantastic!

Keith

Topnotch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
http://www.topnotchresto.com
71 Squareback  "Hothe"
65 Notchback  "El Baja Rojo"
93 RX7  "Redstur"
13 Subaru Outback "Blendin"

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org [mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org]
On Behalf Of Max Welton
Sent: Sunday, September 06, 2020 8:52 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] Reconstruction begins

On Sun, Sep 6, 2020 at 2:33 PM Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2020 at 14:14, Max Welton wrote:
>
> > Got the pan back. Almost a shame to put a car on it.
> >
> > https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2085818.jpg
>
> That looks awesome. What year is it? I can't see details well enough to
> tell.
> Are the front seat rails modified to fit something different? They look
> oddly
> flat and smooth.

The car is a 67. We're making a variety of updates while it's all apart.

The stock seat mounts were removed and replaced with some flat pieces that
match the adaptors I created to use some 2004 Suzuki Verona we  found in
the local wrecking yard.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674190

> There are 3 tubes sticking out the center front, just above the center
> tunnel
> access hole. The 2 smaller tubes look like gas lines, but what is the
> larger
> tube?

I came up with an in-tank FI pump to feed the Megasquirt engine.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=150822

Being a 67 there was no provision for FI so we added a supply and return
line. The third tube is conduit to hold the fuel pump wires running back
from the relay board living behind the rear seat back.

> This would be a great time to get someone to rust proof all the inside
> volumes of the front yoke, side rails, and center tunnel. It would be easy
> now.

Done. We're also doing a lot of work with enclosed spaces in the body. More
on that later.

Max