[T3] Cowl seals for wiper shafts

Max Welton max.welton.2k at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 16:11:46 PDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 1:46 PM Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 4 Apr 2021 at 17:13, Max Welton wrote:
>
> > Car is a 67 fastback Jim. When I got the car any grommets were missing.
>
> What's the diameter of the holes in the cowl, and what's the OD of the
> threaded bushing?

The threaded bushing is 12mm across. It was on the car from the PO.
The main car body is being prepped for the paint booth at this moment
so I can't measure it.

> Switching to the tapered shafts is a nice upgrade., but it may mean that your
> only choice will be to use 4 plain rubber washers. The grommets may not
> have the right combination of ID and OD.

We'll know soon. Alex is sending me a pair. On his site they are
listed as 311955261A fitting 70-72 Std Beetle, up to 72 Super, 68-79
Bus and all type-3.

Maybe we'll both learn something here.

Max