[T3] Reverse lockout

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Apr 7 15:26:26 PDT 2021

On 7 Apr 2021 at 19:01, Larry Thrasher wrote:

> I have a 1968 Squareback. The reverse lockout does not work (i.e. you can shift into reverse without pressing down on the shift lever). It shifts into all gears without any problems.
> The lockout plate on the '68 has two 'tabs' and I have it installed according to the Bentley Manual.
> I did notice a groove worn into one side of the plate. Is this the source of my problem?

It's certainly possible that the worn area is at least part of your problem. The
bushing in the tunnel is something else you should also look at.

I looked at the info Phil posted, and the forum post was interesting, but the
two photos were disappointing. Taken from above, it's impossible to see the
shapes of the tabs.

I've never looked at this before, so I looked in the Type 3 Parts Book. I
figured it was just possible that there were 2 different plates, one for the
early "long throw" shifter and one for the later "short throw" version. I was
wrong. There were 3 different lockout plates:

311 711 149		up to VIN 310 2 500 000 (end of MY 1970.)

111 711 149 A	311 2 000 001 to 311 2 500 000 (another one year only '71
part!)

111 711 149 B	312 2 000 001 - on

These numbers would seem to indicate that there was also a 111 711 149
part used on early Beetles, making for a total of at least 4 different versions.
For your replacement, you should look for one from a '70 or earlier Type 3.

It appears that the "Ball Housing", which is the steel housing above the
lockout plate in which the ball rotates, was also a one year part only, so both
the lockplate and ball housing changed at the beginning and end of '71. I
don't know what the change consisted of at the end of '71.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org