[T3] What's this hole for?

Max Welton max.welton.2k at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 08:11:32 PDT 2021

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 7:34 AM Jim Adney <jadney at vwtype3.org> wrote:

> On 18 Apr 2021 at 18:49, Max Welton wrote:
>
> > There's one near the bottom of each A-pillar
> >
> > https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2169957.jpg
> >
> > 67 Fastback.
>
> If this is a photo of the bottom of the windshield opening, then these are
> drains to keep paint from pooling there when dipped at the factory. Seal
> them with a short length of electrical tape before you install the windshield
> gasket, otherwise, they will drip water when it rains.

This hole is near the bottom of the A-pillar so the seat-back release
explanation seems reasonable. There is also a little captive nut in
the wheel well that may also be part of that system.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2105438.jpg

But I see the ones you're talking about up by the window opening.
Wouldn't closing that allow water to pool there?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/2169964.jpg

Max